This code of conduct outlines our expectations for participants within the Hack Liberty community, as well as steps for reporting unacceptable behaviour. We are committed to providing a welcoming and inspiring community for all, and expect our code of conduct to be honoured. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be banned from the community.
This applies to conversation in the any room in the Hack Liberty matrix community (#hackliberty.org:hackliberty.org) and commits and comments relating to any project in the hackliberty.org gitea space.
- Don’t do to others what you don’t want done to you
- INSTANT BAN for revealing personal information about yourself or others
- INSTANT BAN for incitement of violence or self harm
- INSTANT BAN for porn, gore, lewd, violent, or NSFW content
- INSTANT BAN for unsoliciated advertising or spam
- INSTANT BAN for posting URLs to shock sites, information grabbers, or malware
- INSTANT BAN for any harassment as defined below
- INSTANT BAN for global @room pings or gratuitous direct pinging
- WARNING OR BAN for disruptive behavior such as; spam, flooding the chat, offtopic discussions, or unnecessary drama
- WARNING and DELETE for any URLs containing link shorteners
- WARNING or BAN for trolling, bullying or stalking
- Stay on topic in rooms
- Be friendly and patient
- Treat each other with dignity and respect
- Agree to disagree if a discussion is no longer productive
- Foster an environment of information sharing and collaboration
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Incitement of violence, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Threats of violence, both physical and psychological
- Offensive comments related to sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, race or religious affiliation
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect others from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
Chat room moderators volunteer their time to help keep the room running smoothly and are responsible for managing often complex situations
Moderators are given exclusive privileges to help maximise the effectiveness of the room
If you are asked to modify your behaviour or given some other form of instruction but fail to comply, you are likely to be removed from the chat room for a discretionary period of time depending on the severity of the matter
When being corrected by a moderator, please do not argue with them in main chat. You should request a PM session to help avoid conflict and keep the involvement of others to a minimum
Attacking moderators in the chat room will likely result in a ban. Any genuine visitor should respect their decisions - they have nothing to gain from issuing bans / mutes and are doing so to the best of their ability, on behalf of the community
Moderators may choose to request users to leave if they're deemed to be a risk to the safety of the general users / guests within the chatroom. Not adhering to the request will result in manual removal
An appeal can be requested but is to the discretion of the moderator who issued that ban / mute - however, this is not a given right. To make an appeal, please PM the respective moderator
You are welcome to return to the chat room once your ban period expires, but please be mindful of the reason(s) you got banned, abide by the rules and take into account any moderator feedback received.
If a ban is evaded within the designated period (for any reason), please note that our moderators may extend the ban beyond the original lapse date.
If you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour — or have any other concerns — please report in Matrix or by contacting us via email@example.com. All reports will be handled with discretion. In your report please include:
- Your contact information.
- Names (usernames and/or pseudonyms) of any individuals involved. If there are additional witnesses, please include them as well. Your account of what occurred, and if you believe the incident is ongoing.
- The date and time of the incident (or start of incident).
- Any additional information that may be helpful.
After filing a report, a representative will contact you personally, review the incident, follow up with any additional questions, and make a decision as to how to respond. If the person who is harassing you is part of the response team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse.